During it's first-ever Chirp conference for developers, Twitter revealed some eye-opening statistics this week about the previously secret user base.
- Twitter has 105,779,710 registered users
- New users are signing up at the rate of 300,000 per day
- 75% of Twitter traffic comes from outside Twitter.com (i.e. via third party applications like TweetDeck and HootSuite)
- Twitter gets 3 billion API requests per day
- Twitter's search engine gets 600 million search queries per day
- Twitters are sending a total of roughly 55 million tweets per day
- 37 percent of active Twitterers are using their mobile phone to tweet
- Twitter has grown from 25 employees to 175 employees in the past year.
To put this in perspective, Twitter is second in search to Google and ahead of Yahoo! and Bing as a search engine. It has roughly the same "population" as Mexico and is adding more users every month than there are people living in New York City.